Yool's frolic in the garden - a warning to all cat owners

Yool was presented to our clinic after his owner noticed blood in his faeces. After a consultation with Dr Alex and a discussion of possible diet change it was discovered that Yool had eaten some Lilies whilst out in the garden that morning. Lilies are extremely toxic for cats and can cause kidney failure. All parts of the lily plant are considered toxic to cats and consuming even small amounts can be life threatening. Within only a few hours of ingestion of the lily plant, the cat may vomit, become lethargic or develop a lack of appetite. These signs continue and worsen as kidney damage progresses.

Yool was quickly admitted to our hospital where Dr Alex ran several tests to determine the condition of Yool's kidneys.

These tests included:

  • a blood sample for testing elevated blood urea nitrogen (BUN) and creatinine as both are indicative of renal failure
  • a urinalysis (urine sample) to provide additional information on the extent of kidney damage and urine-concentrating ability

Yool was then put onto supportive treatment through an intravenous fluid and closely monitored for two days until the blood results were returned to us. Fortunately, the results returned negative, showing no evidence of renal damage. Yool was weaned off the intravenous fluids and was discharged from our hospital.

Share