Your cat's dental health is just as important as your own, and brushing your feline buddy's teeth is the most effective way to healthy oral hygiene – but, as most cat owners would know, that's easier said than done! While there are other ways to make sure they keep their purrfect pearlies, brushing is still best.
Brush your cat's teeth to prevent a build up of plaque
We know, you're probably reading this thinking ‘How on earth am I going to brush my cat’s teeth? Have you met her?!’ Truth is, you might only be successful if you start when they're a kitten, but give it a go anyway. Here's what to do:
- Sit down with your cat on your lap.
- Pop some seafood-flavoured cat toothpaste on your finger for them to lick.
- Let your cat see and play with the toothbrush – this might be as far as you get the first time, but persist!
- Repeat the first three steps, then gently open their mouth and brush their teeth from front to back in an oval pattern, getting the bristles in between and under the teeth.
- Brush for under a minute – it doesn't take long.
Feed your feline a dry food dental diet
Big, crunchy kibble works quite well, knocking plaque off your cat's teeth as they bite through the hard pieces. Look for dry food that has a dental claim - preferably the VOHC ( Veterinary Oral Health Council) seal of approval.
Give your cat dental treats
There's a bunch of treats and chews you can give your cat that help prevent the build-up of tartar and plaque. Choose from salmon, chicken and even catnip flavour!
Treat your cat's water with an oral rinse
Cats love fresh water so whenever you replace the water bowl, add some dental rinse to help kill bacteria and prevent plaque from building up in their mouth.
Visit the vet regularly to check your cat's oral health
It is difficult to tell if your cat has dental issues as they can tolerate a high level of pain and they often have fishy kitty breath! The best thing to do is have a regular check-up with your vet. It's much easier for them to see what's going on.
If you can train your cat to enjoy a daily teeth clean you're well on the way to being issue-free. If you would like recommendations for any of the above, please do not hesitate to contact us.